Wednesday, February 11, 2009

at 8:21 AM Labels: , , Posted by wendy

Bargain Meal of the Week
This week Kroger has boneless chuck Pot Roast on sale for $2.17 per pound. While it is above my $2.00 per pound buy price on meat, it's still cheaper than normal. (You really have to wait sometimes for beef that cheap!)

I thought I'd include a cheap, easy meal that we really love. Beef Burgundy, without the alcohol because, well, it's expensive. :-)
(Generally when I make a recipe I try to get the overall flavor of the meal and leave out the most expensive ingredients.) The original recipe was inspired by the South Beach diet, but I've made my own adjustments for taste and price.

Beef Burgundy
Printable Version

1 teaspoon oil
1 medium onion, sliced into rings
1-1/2 pounds beef chuck; cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
2 T flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 c. grape juice (or apple juice)
1 cloves garlic; crushed
¾ cup beef broth
8 oz tomato sauce
2 T parsley; chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme (can leave out)
4 oz can mushrooms
2 T butter


Lightly brown the onions in the oil and remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. Pat meat dry between paper towels and brown it on all sides in the same pot without crowding. You may have to do it in batches. Sprinkle browned meat with flour, salt, and pepper. Add juice, garlic, stock, tomato sauce and herbs. Over heat bring the mixture to a simmer and then cook it, tightly covered for two or more hours or until the meat is fork tender. Add the onions after one hour. Lightly saute the mushrooms in the butter and set aside. Add the mushrooms when done. Serve over cooked barley (or noodles).

To cook barley, add 1/2 cup barley to 2 cups boiling water (or broth). Add 1/2 tsp salt. Cook barley until tender, generally about 20 minutes.

Generally I make a double batch of this at a time so we have leftovers and some for the freezer. I'd say this meal is probably 4 adult-size servings (3 adults, 3 kids).

Meal Cost ~ $4.71

HINT: I also make this out of soaked venison and it is just as good and WAY cheaper if the venison is donated. (Thanks, bro!)

0 comments: